Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"No!"


We've been working on the word "no" for a few months now. Emery knows what it means but loves to push our buttons to see just what he can get away with! He'll turn around when he hears us and give us a sly little look. Sometimes he'll obey and go about doing something different, but sometimes he'll turn right back around and continue with his original plan!

A few repeat things we always have to say "no" to:

-Cords...of all kinds. But particularly right up next to the plug in. He wants to pull them out of the wall. He sees us do this with the vacuum and thinks he can with the lights and everything else he can get to.
-Red. Emery loves bugging Red! Bless our dog's heart, he's so patient with him, which I'm very thankful for. Emery will pull his hair, steal his dog bone, and try to take over his bed when Red is sleeping!
-House plants. Of course it would be easiest if I just got rid of them, but I enjoy them and I refuse to completely "baby proof" my house of all things I used to enjoy before Emery! ha! So, when he tries to pull the leaves, he hears that dreaded word again!
-Dog bowl. Another one related to Red. Emery is very interested in Red's water bowl. I haven't let him get close enough to actually mess with it though!
-Stairs. If he sees an opening to the stairs, even for just a split second, he thinks he can climb them. Not quite the safest activity to do alone when you are only 11 months old!
-Throwing his food. When he's had enough to eat or doesn't like something, Emery can easily be caught tossing his food over the edge of his highchair tray. He'll look you straight in the eye and think you don't notice, then sure enough...smack on the floor. (Red kind of likes this game, he gets special treats out of the deal!)
-Kleenex and toilet paper. You know where this is going!

Needless to say, the more and more active and curious Emery gets, the more this word is becoming part of our vocabulary. It sure is an adventure around here! :)

Hope you are staying warm today...which gets me thinking...I may just start a fire in the fireplace while Emery is napping!

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

Janet said...

Cute one mom!!!
I love it. I'll remind you when Em is 16 of what a teenager says when you say "no"!!!!
love you!!!