It never fails. The minute I plop down on the couch during naptime--after I've done some laundry, cleaned, paid some bills, called who I needed to call, put clothes away, etc.--and even think about logging in to the blog to do some posting, one or both of the kids wake up. So, currently, Emery is upstairs eating grapes and watching Pingu and Elle is in her crib talking to herself. I only have a few minutes to spare!!
Shortly before Spring Break, I approached Patrick with the idea of me taking the kids to Kansas City so we could go to Jack's birthday party and meet up with my friend Suzy and her kids Levi & Ariana. He had to work, and I had off, and I figured I'd pull on my big girl pants and be a single mom for 4 days. I packed up all the stuff (ALL the stuff!!), we hoped in the car, and made our way to Kansas City. We had to stop 3 times on the way there...and I feared that was the way the whole trip would go...but, for the most part, Emery and Elle were great travel buddies.
We arrived on St. Patrick's Day (also Jack's Birthday) just in time to meet up with everyone for lunch. What fun it was to see the boys together again! They sure do love spending time together!!
That night Jack had his birthday party and we celebrated in Cars fashion. Lauren did such a great job decorating with the Cars theme. Emery had a great time with Jack and his other friends, eating pizza, playing soccer, and enjoying cupcakes. That night the boys got to stay up a little late and watch part of a movie before bed. They attempted a sleepover in Jack's room, but after about 5 minutes Emery decided he wanted to sleep in Mommy and Elle's room, so I had the pleasure of sharing my bed with a 3 year old for 3 nights!
The next day we went to church with Lauren, Reid, and Jack and had a nice time just hanging out. Lauren, Elle, and I did a little shopping and the boys played outside some more.
On Monday, we met up with Suzy, Levi, and Ari at the T-Rex Cafe. What a cool place!! It would have been perfect if the boys weren't both tired, if Levi wasn't afraid of the dinosaurs, and if the baby girls weren't hungry and fussy. Ha! Suzy & I did a good job being patient and we made the best of it. What happened after eating at T-Rex though, was the biggest test of our patience yet. We were caught in a HUGE downpour while trying to drive to our hotel. Suzy was trying to follow me, I was trying to find the hotel and not loose Suzy, and we both had kids in our cars that wanted to be out! After finally arriving to the hotel it sure was nice to spread out, settle down, and have the kids take a nap.
Our original plans of taking the kids to a park for a nature hunt were ruined by the rain, so we loaded up and went to the mall for some retail therapy instead. Actually, we went so we could walk off some energy and get the boys some ice cream. The retail therapy was just a bonus :) That evening we ordered some pizza and spent some time at the hotel playing and watching a movie. All 4 kids slept great that night and Suzy and I stayed up late drinking wine and gabbing. It was so nice.
Tuesday morning we woke up and took advantage of the free breakfast at the hotel, rounded up the kids after playing for a bit and then went to Wonderscope, the children's museum in Kansas City. What a fun rainy day activity! The boys had a blast, Elle enjoyed building with blocks, and Ari got in a good nap. We wrapped up our short time together with lunch at Panera, lots of laughs from the boys, and some goodbye hugs. Sure wish we lived closer so we could get together more often.
The trip home was a piece of cake. Both kids napped the whole way, I woke them in Emporia for a surprise meet up with Grandma and Grandpa Holthaus, and then they both fell back asleep again until we got home! They were exhausted.
We were all so happy to see Daddy when we got home and I think he was equally (if not more) happy to see us!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment